My 12 Favorite Bible Verses

I love the Scriptures! After 23 years as a Christian, 11 of those as a pastor, I have grown more in love with the Bible each and every day. However, though all Scripture is inspired and profitable, I do have my favorites. Here’s my list:

12. The Foundation Verse

II Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

11. The Shepherd Verse

Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

10. The Responsibility Verse

II Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

9. The Security Verse

Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

8. The Love Verse

Jeremiah 31:3 Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

7. The Happy Verse

Psalm 34:1-3 I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.

6. The Family Verse

Joshua 24:15 Choose you this day whom ye will serve…but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

5. The Determination Verse

Daniel 1:8 Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself.

4. The Hopeful Verse

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

3. The Challenging Verse

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

2. The Make-Me-Cry Verse

Ephesians 1:4-7 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.

1. The Amazing Verse

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

OK – I’m tearing up here. What a wonderful exercise that was for me.

What is your favorite Bible verse? Would you please share it with me? Did I already use your favorite?

1. “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from Heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

2. Jennifer says:

2 Corinthians 12:9 & 10

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

• Joshua Teis says:

What an amazing truth this is! When I am weak, He is strong! Failure in the Christian life comes when we don’t need God’s help. However, when we are weak, He is able to show forth His strength as never before.

3. Alma Quintino says:

Pastor that was simply beautiful and inspiring!

4. Julie Lauber says:

I love Leviticus 26; the whole chapter. I go there often when I need assurance of the forgiving nature of God. When I’m bothered by thoughts of my evil attitudes actions and deeds, it reminds that I can turn back no matter how far away I’d wandered. He is SO MERCIFUL AND KIND AND LOVING!

• Joshua Teis says:

Julie, We don’t often think of Leviticus as an encouraging passage, but it is! This chapter reminds us of the incredible blessings that the Lord, our Father, desires to bestow upon His children if we are willing to obey. It also reminds us of His loving correction that He is willing to give if we resist His path and direction in our lives. Awesome passage!

5. James Pfeiffer says:

Ecclesiastes 6:10 – “That which hath been is named already, and it is known that it is man: neither may he contend with him that is mightier than he.”

and…

Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

In Ecclesiastes, I believe Solomon is saying that God has already determined the course of everything to come…EVERYTHING. That being said, Romans 8:28 assures us that all things work together for the good of those who love God. So, even if I find myself in a rough patch, b/c I love God I can be confident that the circumstances Im currently in are preparing me for something “good” or greater down the road as my vision is limited where God sits outside of time seeing the beginnings, endings, and everything in between.
    These two concepts are incredibly comforting to me…provided my interpretation is correct 🙂

• Joshua Teis says:

There is nothing more comforting to the heart of a child of God than to remember that God the Father is sovereign and ultimately in control of all things. To know He loves you and to know He is in control is such a blessing. Thanks James for your thought.

6. David Brown says:

I Corinthians 10:13 “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it”
    The verse that proves that we can indeed have victory over sin as a Christian in this life.

• Joshua Teis says:

David, what a great reminder! We are not subject to slavish obedience to our sinful habits. God, our father, has given us a way of escape in every temptation. What a wonderful truth to remember in the most tempting situations.

7. Kathleen Cook says:

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,the evidence of things not seen

• Joshua Teis says:

Ah, yes! The essence of Christianity… faith! How can we be so certain of things unseen… simply faith. Thank you Kathleen for reminding us of the essential Christian virtue.

8. Nancy says:

John 14 1 thru 6
    Psalms 103
    Mathew 22 36 thru 40
    and of coulrse the one that made free John 3 16

9. Anonymous says:

I “second” Alma Quintino’s remark!
    I’m sure all readers here are getting additions to their own favorites lists. I know I am.
    Whether talking to myself (or especially when talking to a not-yet-believer) it has always helped me to remember to use John 3:16 and 17 together. The combination answers so many questions.
    John 3:16-17
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    Ah – – – and then there is Psalms 27:1 & 14. Verse 1 is the armor. Then exposition, then verse 14, which is the users manual – no matter how one understands the word “wait”. Another combination.
    Psalms 27:1
    1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
    Psalms 27:14
    14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
    Thanks again – what a nifty idea!

• Joshua Teis says:

Hello my anonymous friend! Psalm 27 is very helpful for me right now because it will relate to a major theme in my sermon this sunday morning. Waiting upon the Lord – The great villain Judas was unable to wait upon Jesus and demanded his due a little too early. traded everything for a rotten 30 pieces of silver. beautiful. thank you

10. Tracy Bradford says:

NOT anonymous – me…. oops…TWB

11. Lita Bonsignori says:

Got to jump on here and add my a few of my favorites! You’ve already listed some – Jer 29:11 is my life verse; Joshua 24:15 is my family verse; and John 3:16 is my salvation verse. Here are my others: Lam 3:22-23 are my grace/mercy verses; Rev 21:4 is my comfort verse; Ps 116:15 is my comfort verse for loss of loved ones; Prov 31:30 is my motivational verse as a woman; I John 1:9 is my cleansing verse; Song of Solomon 5:10 is my marriage verse, and lastly John 20:31 is my why I believe what I believe verse. Thank you for allowing me to share, and thank you for posting this topic! It was good to think on my foundational verses. They also reminded me of my purpose verse: Rom 8:28 PS: Isn’t hard to start narrowing down favorite verses?!? So many more could be listed! I’ve been encouraged by what others have shared 🙂

• Joshua Teis says:

Great list Lita! Loved it! We share several in common don’t we? I don’t tell you and Kelly enough how thankful I am that you are serving in our deacon ministry. You have been such a blessing and encouragement to my family. I sure am thankful for the four godly couples who minister in our deacons ministry.

12. Nancy McAndrew says:

I’m with you on all of the above – especially my favorite, Psalms 23:1 The LORD IS MY SHEPARD I shall not want.
    In tough times, it keeps me close to The Lord.

• Joshua Teis says:

The entire psalm is a global treasure. It brings such life into our understanding of God. What a wonderful shepherd He truly is. thank you for commenting and joining our conversation Nancy.

13. Francis Keaton says:

Proverbs 11:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom. This has been a guiding verse for me quite often

14. Jerry Teis says:

That is a hard question but right at this moment I would have to say:

28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
    29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
    30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
    31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

15. Byron Bellamy says:

James 4:13-17
    One of my favorites. Helps keep my priorities straight. I like all of everyone else’s too.

16. Akeem says:

Romans 5:19-20 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

• Joshua Teis says:

Akeem, what a tremendous truth! What the first Adam destroyed, the second Adam (Jesus) restored.

The second verse always reminds me of Las Vegas. Grace seems to abound here.

17. Ted Nichols says:

Psalms 1:1-6.
    1Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    2But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
    3And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
    4The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
    5Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
    6For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

• Joshua Teis says:

Ted, it’s truly amazing to see the stark comparison between the one who lives in obedience and the one who lives in disobedience. I believe this passage gives us insight into the mind of God.

18. Jamee says:

Proverbs 17:3
    The fining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold but The Lord truth hearts

19. Michael Cifuentes says:

John 14:6
    JESUS said: I am the way, the truth and the life. This is what I live and dream about for, to one day see JESUS.